Monday, December 21, 2009

moon, star & nights

The sanctity of evening. I am awestruck at how the Universe is so balanced and harmonious in it's entirety. I gazed at the stars this night and gave "thanks" for all the people I have come to know and for the one's I have yet to meet. May you all have a Silent and Holy night. I celebrate you!!!” - Nakomis Maher



“I spent a great deal of my life well into my 40's in the forest. Even now the night deep, dark and embracing of my soul holds its poetry for me. The stars spread out like a blanket hiding mysteries they reveal. But people have changed the earth, and the heavens above us.


I like sleeping outdoors on the ground. The forest has always been full of songs, and the safety of the woods is the sounds and voices of the living telling stories of the movements in the forest. But every year, in my lifetime, fewer and fewer animals and birds, and insects live. Last year I lay on my blankets a fire burning near me up in the Virginia mountains I heard something I had never heard in the forest, or the mountains: silence. That silence gave me no song, or voice, or notice of moving hunters in the dark forest. I had to rely on my medicine, and medicine animals to inform my spirit of danger from bears, stalking coyotes, and white men with guns (the scariest of all). So I slept waking up here and there watching the faces of stars moved, seemingly by hand, across the sky shifting the moon in its dance across the dark, chased ahead, eventually, into the morning light. I love the night, its dark peeping out between stars looking down at me asking who I am on that little planet Earth.” -Dawn Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment