Wednesday, September 1, 2010

TV commercials



Opthamlmology
Female - 5 years experience

Sanford Clinic Vance Thompson Vision

1310 W 22nd St # 2
Sioux Falls, SD


Alison Tendler, M.D.& Restasis spokesperson

TV commercials often escape my attention. A long time ago I was excited by an invitation to a pilot screening of a new television show. I felt like we were in the loop. Renée (my first wife) and I drove to a Baltimore location and were signed in with others as excited as we were. The show was OK. It was a comedy. At the end of the sitcom all of the questions were about the commercials I scarcely remembered. Once our hosts realized that all the questions went to Renee, and I was pretty much ignored after that, and never rewarded with another invitation.

It was a subtle awakening. My father told me in a phone conversation that evening it was important to understand that the selling of product was the most important thing to understand about television. I was bitter, saddened, and puzzled about it. In my '20's I expected my life to segue into a Mystery School for higher learning and initiation. Where that notion came from I don't know, but without it there was bitterness in my soul around this revelation. I had to learn many things in the days from then to now. There were long periods of no television. After all television is a disconnected connection, a tool an intelligent person can recognize and utilize for the benefit of self and others. Most of the people I know are dictated to and don’t see TV, cell phones or other trinkets as tools because the spiritual development of American citizenry centers on the acquisition of things.

How European one becomes I say to the ethnic groups who come to these shores to find the American dream, to watch TV, get jobs, start careers, and achieve financial success measures them against the mainstream. It is a selling point every industry recognizes, and all of us respond to despite our politics, cultural identity, and pride. How deeply impressed we are with the validation a white woman gives to a product. Restasis eye drops are outside of my interests. I don’t pay much attention to commercials. It sways my shopping decisions slightly for two simple reasons: I rarely shop, and colors, beauty, and music take my attention during commercials.

I have watched the Restasis eye drops commercials for as long as they have aired, and had no idea what was being sold. I was always captivated by the spokesperson, Dr. Allison Tendler. Her voice gentle and calming tickled my ears, and listening to her voice over and over again I could taste the flavor and touch the tenor of her voice. It matched her eyes that seemed blue, and deep, and engaged in the moment, calm and sensitive to needs, and details. After many listens I noticed her delicate hands. They moved gently directed by breezes rising and falling from somewhere the eye could not see. The purity of the ivory white of her complexion blends with her voice. She doesn’t need to tan. The classic beauty she wears merges with the professionalism of her craft, the sincerity of her voice, and her ability to massage the spaces between intellectual musings, sensuous promise, common sense, and the practicality of seeing and setting a goal seduced me.

Finally I looked her up, and found out she lives and works in South Dakota, and her ophthalmology practice seems to be an honest one as her industry’s regulatory group measures practioneers. Beauty is an introduction into someone’s life. What does your beauty introduce you to, invite your way, and open up within others? – Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories, (01 septembre 2010)



Alison Tendler, opthamlmologist & Restasis spokeswoman

No comments:

Post a Comment