Friday, May 6, 2011

MOTHERHOOD as a celebrity: Helena Bonham Carter

Helena Bonham Carter  & family in Fantasy World

Helena Bonham Carter admits pregnancy made her defensive about her vices. The 42-year-old actress - who has two children with partner Tim Burton, son Billy, five and 13-month-old daughter Nell - found it impossible to give up coffee while pregnant, and developed a sharp retort for when she was criticized for succumbing to her caffeine cravings.

…If a man condemned her for drinking coffee, Helena would swiftly reply: “You try nine months of gestation and self-abnegation before you start censoring my diet. Your mother was probably on vodka, and do you have three heads?”

Helena limited her intake of the hot drink, but admits it was tough to give it up entirely. She said: “I didn’t drink caffeine as much as I would normally and try to restrict myself to one cup of coffee a day. One of my favourite dishes is carpaccio and I love sushi but I avoided them. Obviously anything with raw eggs was forbidden, too.”

The actress has previously revealed she was so desperate for a second child she took fertility drugs to boost her egg production, and also tried acupuncture and Chinese massage.

She said: “If I hadn’t got pregnant I think we probably would have tried IVF (in vitro fertilisation), yes. Obviously, you don’t know what you’d do unless you were actually in that situation. I think we might have gone for a round of IVF, but that would have been that.”







 
Helen Bonham Carter, actress Harry Potter


And after Helena told off Tim Burton with that “three heads” line, Burton jotted down some notes, met with some producers and started pre-production on The Three-Headed Vodka Boy, starring Johnny Depp. *rimshot* Seriously, when I think about what pregnant women used to get away with, it really makes me wonder about my mother’s generation. Pregnant women used to smoke throughout the whole nine months! They used to drink like fishes! They used to play with toxic chemicals! Well, maybe not that one, but I’m sure a couple of pregnant women tried.




No comments:

Post a Comment