Sunday, May 8, 2011

MANHOOD part 55

Lisa Payne Whitehead, gospel singer


“A young man drove up from Atlanta to spend some time with me a few weeks ago. He is on a quest to become a man. Walking through Washington DC on my personal Chocolate City tour he was struck by the number of beautiful Black women. They seemed to swarm around us like lilies upon a lake. I told him as we got closer to the Willard Hotel, "... you need to be strong to live in this town. You can't be a weak man. Not in this town..." I shared more, of course, but looking at you Lisa it comes to my mind the importance of giving you a glimpse of how I train young men to approach the women they will come into contact with. How you, and other women carry yourself, speak, teach by lives lived, and relate to the dynamic of manhood plays a big part in the initiations young men need to endure. Without it how can balance, and the depth required to establish balance play, and dance with maturity in these young men’s lives?” – Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment