Monday, May 30, 2011

sacredness a woman teaches

Devin Devasquez

"... I understand the unnatural relationships people hold, and practice in modern life as a cause of disease. Sleep is a sacred ritual. It has always been a treasured part of the day. It belongs to the simple ritual that holds lives together. Fitting such a 'nuisance' to the fast pace of modern life sleep has become a cast away. As a castaway the talk about, and around sleep is awkward, and unnatural. It has been removed from its function, and no longer holds a sacred place of dreams, revival, and power. The mysterious joys of sleeping and entering into the magical realms of healing, other realms of being a created being, and deep rest are lost in a culture of acquisition where speed is a virtue, and exhaustion is an admirable trait leading people to their deaths prematurely. " Dawn Wolf, Keeper of Stories

"... I worked too many hours as a young father here and there in those years. It led to exhaustion, and near fatal accidents. I remember falling asleep driving on the highway four times. Once I drove several miles asleep on the beltway. When I reached breaking points I walked into the forest and would sleep deeply nestled within a stick and mud home I had built. Those sleeps would break up 17-hour shifts, and settle my body into its natural form. I don’t work like that anymore. American life is too shallow a state of being to forfeit so precious a thing like sleep. I turned my driver’s license in to the state, and began a new life.” – Dawn Wolf, Keeper of Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment