Wednesday, August 29, 2012

REAL TALK

Chris Long Haired Wolf

Trace your walk...feel satisfaction in knowing
the end of the rainbow you have looked for can
be found at the toe of your moccasin after
realizing who we are...and what we have."
~John "Eagle Spirit" Campbell, Chief


"With a large bird above me, I am walking
around the sky. I entrust myself to the wind."
~Anishinaabeg dream song



Three Worlds - Chumash

There is this world in which we live, but there is also one above us and one
below us. There are two serpents that hold our world up from below. When
they are tired they move, and that causes earthquakes. The World above is
sustained by the great eagle. He never moves, he is always in the same spot.
When he gets tired of sustaining the upper world, he stretches his wings a
little, and this causes the phases of the moon. When there is an eclipse of
the moon
it is because his wings cover it completely. And the water in the
springs and streams of this earth is the urine of the many frogs who live in
it.

From the Archives of Blue Panther


Here I am, Dawn Wolf on a porch in Anacostia Washington DC
across from the Anacostia museum.
I have always been Crow. My grandfather taught me the first six years of my life. It was a deep merging of a grandfather's life teaching and way into his grandson. It defined me. It set me apart from Black Americans during the height of the Civil Rights movement and brought me closer to the essence of the movement. Living in Africa was not what I expected. I was more Indian than African, less American and better at becoming myself. Returning to the US left more of the African in me.

As the years of growing continued my energies have become matter. My grandfather released me, years after his death, to talk about my life. I can now share what the Crow and the African have become within my essence, my manhood, my work. Being African and Indian in these times and this country requires thought and deep introspection. It is a bold act of power to be Indian in the context of Black life in American for obvious and not so obvious reasons.

I have long resented being defined by government. I never got close to getting a card. It is bad enough having a social security number. If I am going to be a part of a corporation, the USA, I want control of my definition, my perception and interpretation of who I am. ~ Gregory E. Woods (2007)


No comments:

Post a Comment