Saturday, March 16, 2013

On the Street…..14th St., New York

The Sartorialist


New York, in my mind, is bereft of moments like this captured by the Sartorialist. I've been to New York 18, maybe 20 times. It is the most unpleasant, coldest city I've ever visited. I hate it. It has no redeeming quality. I'd never seen so many people with dead eyes in my life. Only in New York. I've never, and I tried very hard through movies, theater, books, pictures, and listening to personal stories understood, or grasped the part of New York that inspires, and captivates people. In that city I felt entombed within a gray maze where the people are in various stages of dementia or violent insanity ready to explode to defend territory, and food, or to explode for no other reason than to explode and hurt somebody!

The Sartorialist's photographs help assuage my misgivings about the city. Looking through his eye comforts me because his technique of singling one image at a time slows the mad rush of the city and freezes a moment to examine and feel for what it is worth. Between these photos and my willingness to 'see' the city I might break through and 'see' the city. - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories




No comments:

Post a Comment