Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Thoughts Travel Everywhere


"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me. - Isaac Newton


ART by Diane Leonard


My thoughts turn to something I read once, something the Zen Buddhists believe. They say that an oak tree is brought into creation by two forces at the same time. Obviously, there is the acorn from which it all begins, the seed which holds all the promise and potential, which grows into the tree. Everybody can see that. But only a few can recognize that there is another force operating here as well – the future tree itself, which wants so badly to exist that it pulls the acorn into being, drawing the seedling forth with longing out of the void, guiding the evolution from nothingness to maturity. In this respect, say the Zens, it is the oak tree that creates the very acorn from which it was born.

I think about the woman I have become lately, about the life that I am now living, and about how much I always wanted to be this person and live this life, liberated from the farce of pretending to be anyone other than myself. I think of everything I endured before getting here and wonder if it was me – I mean, this happy and balanced me, who is now dozing on the deck of this small Indonesian fishing boat – who pulled the other, younger, more confused and more struggling me forward during all those hard years. The younger me was the acorn full of potential, but it was the older me, the already-existent oak, who was saying the whole time:”Yes – grow! Change! Evolve! Come and meet me here, where I already exist in wholeness and maturity! I need you to grow into me!”

And maybe it was this present and fully actualized me who was hovering four years ago over that young married sobbing girl on the bath room floor, and maybe it was this me who whispered lovingly into that desperate girl’s ear,”Go back to bed, Liz…” Knowing already that everything would be OK, that everything would eventually bring us together here. Right here in this moment. Where I was always waiting in peace and contentment, always waiting for her to arrive and join me.”

-Elizabeth Gilbert, ”Eat Pray Love”

OAK
by Drew Castelhano
"
This is the Angle Tree just south of Charleston, S.C." - Perry Smith 





No comments:

Post a Comment