Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Reaching for FREEDOM



"Tell me again why we should forget I see that you haven’t forgotten Pearl Harbor yet Tell me again why you say you can’t You paid everyone else for their time in the camps

Tell me again why we should ignoreThe many times you said “you’re mama’s a whore” Tell me again why because we fail to seeThe reasons you hung all our men from a tree

Tell me again why our history you choked For chaining us, killing us, suppressing our vote

Tell me again why we should share your terror Our enemy’s long been who you see in the mirror

Tell me again why you wouldn’t relent From calling our ancestors niggers and wench Tell me again why so we’ll understand And please with a straight face if you think you canTell me again why those little girls died For once tell the truth not another ‘white lie’

Tell me again why now that you live in fear It’s about time you felt what we felt all those yearsTell me again why because we’re not insane We know no one’s cornered the market on painTell me again why is it you find?

When you cry your tears they are wet just like mine Tell me again why, we pray that you tell Why when we made your heaven you gave us pure hell Tell me again why what is your excuse Why you won’t compensate us for all your abuse

Tell me again why because our ancestors need To hear that you’re sorry for your hate and greed Tell me again why, why should we forgiveThe ones who detest the mere fact that we live I’ll tell you why if I may be so bold

We have to forgive you to save our own souls


Reaching For Freedom” by Jay
Arrington



THE RIGHT TO BE BLACK IN AMERICA
Yesterday. It was yesterday.

from gallery of Lioness Daiba Sala

No comments:

Post a Comment