Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Valentine's DAY?


Trina posing for
Black girls are Beautiful ♥
8.11.13
320 of 320

When I was coming up the twelfth day of February was revered as the day President Lincoln was born, and reading about him was the highlight of the day for me as a child. Negroes around me, adults that is, had a certain hush about them thinking about Honest Abe as their Savior because he freed us. 

I would look up, as a child, at these adults and swoon with the knowledge I had about Lincoln from reading from the encyclopedias I had, and from books in the library. I didn't talk about him. I thought about him answering questions people posed to each other in my head. In those days children didn't contribute to adult conversations unless asked, and normally they would never ask a kid an intellectually stimulating question. 

Now, by the 12th adults were geared up for Valentine's Day, but Lincoln's birthday was intense and important, and I heard someone note that it came before George Washington's birthday, on the 22nd, and that meant something. Somehow it supported the notion that our freedom was more important than the founding father! It was a silent coup. But, secretly the most important and powerful aspect of the 12th was that it was Daddy's birthday, and Daddy was the most powerful man on Earth! 

When I grew up without reading anything of substance about the origin of, or the purpose of Valentine's Day I learned that whatever the origin of the day was it had become the Day of the Dance. Valentine's Day was about pussy

The Day of the Dance has a specific set of rules that guaranteed a meal and romance for the woman, and pussy for the man. Men geared up for this and women preened in anticipation for the beginning of the dance, and not a single one understood why the 14th was designated as a day and a night to work for the reward of sex after romance. Valentine's Day is a ritual, and if a man was young enough a rites-of-passage into the fine art of wine and dining, and red roses and seduction.  - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 2.12.14




Sara Larrson presented herself on Instagram Chicks


No comments:

Post a Comment