Sunday, November 23, 2014

COMMERCIAL BREAK




My father was very clear about television, and how it is be regarded. When I was five years old we lived in Chicago, Illinois. It snowed deeply in those days. When the proverbial Hawk flew in it was butt shaking cold. The snow stood above my head and up to Daddy's waist, at least.

One day a decision had been made, and Mommy bundled me up for the bitter cold to walk with Daddy to purchase our first TV set! I could barely moved. I remember how hot I was in the house. Only my eyes shone, and I couldn't hear too well, but when we got outside all that heat disappeared in the first wind, and was glad to bundled, and warm.

I remember looking up at Daddy. He was a giant, and impressive. He wore a long black wool dress coat and not hat on  his head.

"Daddy, why don't you have a hat on?"

Daddy looked down at his first born, and said with deep resonance in his voice. "Men don't wear hats."

You have to hear me tell this story. Reading it does  no justice, and imparts no power, or grant you the sense of my father's depth and its impact on me then and now. I loved hats. I wore them a lot. I wore them to bed sometimes in my childhood. It wasn't until I was wearing police hats in my late 20's I stopped wearing them with the spirit I wore them. Police hats are stupid in design for tactical reasons, and the look dumb on me, and worst of all caused my hair line to recede prematurely  and rapidly.

That aside I need to talk about television and commercials as Daddy taught us. Daddy is a complex man, and when he dies one day it will be his legacy of words, discipline of mind and spirit, and the countless times his sons sat in counsel with him learning, reviewing and evaluating subjects simple and complex.

Our parents were deliberate in their practices and the things they allowed us to do. Television was not the center piece of our home. Daddy protected us encircling us and the home Mommy created and sustained with prayers with his personal powers (and they were considerable) and keen intellect. Mommy kept an aroma of sanctity astir, and my imagination, as well as my siblings, were wet with dew, and awash with play, and engagement in the multiple sensations of childhood. Television came and went as a spice in our lives we were not devoted to, but enjoyed.

Older, and an adult Daddy, in the midst of a serious discussion, made it a point for me to understand that television is about commercials, not the content of shows. "It is important you understand that, Gregory." he said that afternoon. - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 5.7.13





mysterious aspect of a Pakistani woman


LETS TALK REAL LIFE, What good is 911, emergency help , that is what they call it , Police, Fire dept. and others? We pay with our tax dollars for this service . You call for help and someone on the other end has got to know your life history before help is on the way. I can see if you are trying to keep me calm or ensuring me help will soon be there, but to keep asking me a bunch of questions and I am wondering weather I am going to live or die . If someone is playing a game with them , that is what the law is for. Just think what if Jesus did us that way? every time that you needed help , He would start asking you a bunch of questions. On a serious note , we need to reevaluate the way this system is working , a few seconds could mean the difference between life and death. - Richard Pryor


I understand your concern, Richard. I share the same, but recognize the science behind the practice, and the thinking that has gone into the system. It is a system. There are systems of thought to weigh and consider as well as scenarios, and personalities and the level of discipline and training in the variety of people who call 911 emergency services. 

I am not posing as an expert, but I've thought a lot about this service and how calls are handled as a civilian, and as law enforcement person, hunter and a killer. Central to each role is breath, and from every operator's outlook both the operator and the person calling need to start each discussion centered. The cadence of the voices of each operator seems to be measured and calculated to slow the heart rate of the caller and the personnel. Without a simple centering technique confusion, delirium, and the uncontrollable reign of panic can run amok and nothing will get done. 

The Word says, "A man that cannot control his spirit is like a city without walls."

Without that core nothing is, or can be stabilized, and clarity will not, cannot enter into the equation. 

Gregory E. Woods 5.7.13



No comments:

Post a Comment