Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Song Changes


Girl by John Nevarez



Many times songs have changed me through modulations from one key to another lifetime within a lifetime of experiences in a moment, a twinkling of an eye, a thrust of moving energies in the force of a song that told the story of who someone I didn't understand was. The songs were plenteous. They came from different people's tribes I knew not the language of or the custom that supported the structure of their composition. But, the singers like Oum Kalthoum and the late great Celia Cruz changed how the world physically felt and changed the way it felt being in the world as a man listening to two women from Egypt and Cuba singing the world they lived and saw. It is like being a part of a matrix of thought not your own that has not set you apart and said, 'Go home.'
"Have I ever had a song change the way I see the world?"
"Yes, I have." ~ Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 3.27.15



Preservation series by Blake Little

 

No comments:

Post a Comment