Saturday, August 29, 2015

MY FAMILY IN RETROSPECT

August 29, 2015 
should be a good day. I have no way of knowing

Today is the first day of September 2013. It's Sunday. Mommy has been dead since April 8th, and we are two days shy of her wedding anniversary. We didn't know how to approach the day. Lemuel, my first born son who was born on April 8th, came up with an idea that worked because it seemed to be a part of the family vibe we are all running on. We had a gathering at my house. It was our first. Jan and I have only been in this house about a year and a half. We'd just entertained her brother, Bud, and nephew Johnny for a week. So, we had some cleaning and fixing to do.This would be our first party, and the first time we entertained on our lawn.

To a backdrop of country music playing on the radio it was fun. Everyone showed up late. Cynthia (my little sister), and Daddy were the first to arrive carrying horse shoes and a couple other games along with their chairs and a card table. Michael's family came. Their oldest, Olivia, with her charming self was sporting glitz and glamour in her playful way. She has a voice activated diary. Her little brother Benjamin is engrossed in kicking the soccer ball. The newest addition to Michael's family and the clan is Joshua. He came into the family the day after Mommy passed away. He is a little and strong brown boy. Laughs a lot. Full of joy.

My first born, Janvier, arrived with her husband, Nehemiah sans les enfants! This was a first. Vania, my youngest daughter, had Janvier's children. My grandchildren arrived later much to my delight. They'd been on an outing with their Aunt Vania. Eric and his family arrived after dark fell. David's youngest son, Daniel, and only daughter, Leila  arrived in Leila's new car. Leila is 23 years old! Our flanking neighbors stopped by to meet the family. We enjoyed this. My next door neighbor, Michael, met Daddy and just as I thought got engaged in a lengthy conversation. Mary, on the other side of us, stayed a long time, and just enjoyed herself. When I introduced her to my little brother, Michael, he extended his hand to shake it and took it back apologizing.

"I am sorry. My hands are dirty."
"That's OK." Mary said, "I work around a lot of dirty men. I'm used to it.!"

We bust out laughing.

All in all and everyone together made it a joyful night of sharing and talking, and laughing. It feels like Mommy's presence is always light and a feather distance away from me. I've awaken and seen her standing close to me. I've glimpsed and sensed her adjustments to the world she is in, and I've wrestled with the feelings of brought on by my wandering on the peripheral of those worlds, and the pressure I sometimes feel wondering if I'd let her down in my inability to grasp the healing modalities of the physical body. I haven't been able to feel the separation as a terrible gouge because the state of being present and in the moment I held during the months of her decline has not changed into anything else. Beyond that how am I doing? How we doing? Everyone has a story, and insights.

Later into the night Daniel (David's son) and I drummed. I took the drum back to the soil and core of the West African shorelines and forests, and inner cities struggling between the old and the modern. I called Elegba first and other Orishas unto us before I guided us to the Realms of the Ancestors (Ikole Orun) carrying the seed of our powers from Mommy to us into the presence of Mommy in Ikole Orun. In the basement with her grandchildren there with Daniel and I drumming, and Elijah (my first grandchild) and others dancing we came close to Mommy. Immersing ourselves in the density of the spirit of the conjured realms, and the ancient rhythms all of us stayed attuned until I returned us along the same paths and out to our starting point, and release. - Gregory E. Woods 9.1.13




Instagram Chicks
August 31, 2013
"This picture has nothing to do with the story, or the experience. The photographer captured light and pure joy and it internally sparked life into me and I was flooded with memories and emotions of my life's high points and Mommy's words and spirit rushed into and out of me!"

http://icismiley.com/new-girls/page/1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment