Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Skye remembers his Mother


Sky Sirewest's mother, Myrtle Forcey's stage name was Joyce Jackson was born in 1919.



My mom's stage name was Joyce Jackson, her birth name was Myrtle Forcey, and her married name was Joyce Southall. Born and raised in Washington DC on Nannie Hellen Burroughs Ave in 1919. She played clarinet in the Dunbar High school band.
 
She was hit by a motorcycle at a very young age and had a large plate in her leg. They weren't sure if she would walk again. Her favorite poem which she used to recite over and over again to me as a child was "Somebody said it couldn't be done but he with a chuckle replied, that maybe it couldn't but he would be one who wouldn't say so 'till he tried......"
 
So with that attitude she not only went on to walk, but run, 1st place swimmer on the swim team at Aquatic Gardens, and become a professional dancer at 16 years old. She was a contortionist and performed on some of the same shows that Mom's Mabley was in. Mom's Mabley took a liking to her and taught her who to stay away from and who was OK to deal with in show business. After a couple years she began singing.
 
Duke Ellington performed here (Washington DC) a lot and that is how they crossed paths not to mention my mother's father had taught Duke how to play a few things when they were young and for Duke the rest was history. My grandfather could play anything by ear but went on to be a tailor and a great father, husband, and grandfather. I'll never forget we came back from Germany early because my grandfather passed right around the time President Kennedy passed. I was around 5 years old then. My grandmother went on to live another 30 some years totally content having married her soul mate and having the ability to talk to God every day. She live to be 98 years old!  
 
My mother sang at the Howard theatre, the Apollo, she toured the US & Canada with Keter Betts etc. She travelled to Germany twice, once before I was born, once after I was born and became a star in Germany. I wound up having a very rich German uncle named uncle Leo who owned a lot of night clubs she performed in. He loved our family and we loved his. I'll never forget staying at his mansion for a week. As a young boy the thing that made me remember that week so well was the fact that he had most of the animals in a zoo including giraffe!   
He let me ride the horses. My mom joined her mother and father a few years before my father did the same which was maybe 6 years ago. Both of them crammed about 3 lifetimes of living into 1 lifetime. My dad even retired twice. 1st time from the Army and 2nd time as a radio engineer for Voice of America. He lived seemingly another whole lifetime after his 2nd retirement mostly traveling and spending time with my mom and friends. Amazingly enough, after traveling the world my mom transitioned in a nursing home that was built precisely on the same spot the house she was born in used to be!!!! Unbelievable! Maybe I'll share some pictures from their lives. I didn't dream so many of you would have been so interested in my parents. God bless you all and your families. "Live Long & Prosper!!!"
 
March 5, 2015  ·
 
[For those curious Sky and I know each professionally as musicians later to become friends. Deep brother.]


Sky's mother performing 1948

 

No comments:

Post a Comment