Thursday, December 17, 2015

In Waters Where Whales Live . .



"In waters where whales live I dreamt, but never swam. I can't swim in water. I can flow in dreams in time with the ebb and flow of water, as I did and remember doing in my mother's womb. The dance in the womb is not different from dancing beneath the sea, the ocean, or the rivers of water upon the land. What is different is the safety of one, and the inherent dangers of the others.

Not being able to swim in either of the oceans I've waded in both from either side with the whales invisible to me, but present to themselves. The Black ancestors from one ocean, and the Red relatives from the other oceans don't sing of me, they murmur below where it is audible for me to discern their languages. I can intuit the stories of Africans in the Atlantic. Feeling every emotion from their individual lives during the Middle Passage I cannot enter the Atlantic until I leave an offering of tobacco with my words. Those moments come across as magical pulls into the deep where I suddenly realize it was at a place of no return, and began to feel the panic of drowning. As terrible and terrifying as panic is panic creates spontaneous actions and creative ideas surface. Drowning in those waters, and remembering I had not Medicine powers with Water Spirits the idea to let go as a child was revolutionary and it saved my life..." - Gregory E. Woods, DawnWolf,  Keeper of Stories



 

No comments:

Post a Comment