Monday, March 7, 2016

O' the Music I've played ...



guitarist Gene Bertoncini



"Doors"

By Gene Bertoncini

"Early in my career I worked on "The Tonight Show." Every night I sat next to Clark Terry and Skitch Henderson. "I had a gig at "The Playboy Club" with Monty Alexander and Bob Cranshaw. 


One of my favorite evenings of music in my life was when I went to see a Segovia concert at Town Hall. After that I went down to the "Half Note" and saw Wes Montgomery. I remember he was so nice to me that night. He had a big heart and that's the way he played.

I heard all the music you'd ever want to hear in one night from those two great guitarists. Their playing was amazing but they were very generous people, there're not lording over anybody. They certainly have opened the doors to young people."


*Excerpt of my interview (Jake D Feinberg) with Gene Bertoncini from Feb 2012


 

No comments:

Post a Comment