Sunday, June 5, 2016

Funk Drummer, Mike Clark


Isn't this Mike Clark who played with the Headhunters in the 1970's? If so, he was the first powerful and deeply funky white drummer I'd ever watched play. Seeing that was deep. It dispelled the assertion, or rather the belief whites couldn't be funky. Mike Clark? That was a baad brother behind a set! In fact, he and Bill Summers, the world class percussionist, were playing together then in DC. at Constitution Hall early 1970's.

Killer show. I remember details. - Greg



"Outraged"
"The music of the late sixties/early seventies changed the world for awhile. I lived in "the hood" with Paul (Jackson) out in Oakland. We played a lot of Black Panther rallies with Angela Davis and Jesse Jackson. It was only because I was Paul's friend. They needed a drummer so they'd say, "c'mon." I got to hear and see a lot of speeches about stuff I didn't even know was going on in our country. I was outraged and it blew my mind."
 
...
*excerpt of my interview with MC from April 2013 Jake D Feinberg 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment