Monday, January 8, 2018

Black FACE!


Amara La Negra Shuts Down Trolls Saying She’s In Blackface

"Amara La Negra is both black and Latina, a concept many online trolls can’t quite seem to grasp.

The Miami-born Dominican singer first addressed social media comments that she is donning blackface during a live interview with The Shade Room...

But it seems the issue didn’t end there. On Thursday, the singer once again addressed accusations that she wears blackface by posting an adorable throwback video of herself participating in a beauty pageant when she was a child.

“Well Yea I guess I was Born in a ‘Black Face Body!,’” Amara wrote in the Instagram caption for the video. “Its funny that I even have to go through this and show you baby pictures or videos to prove to blogs and people on social media that my skin color is not airbrushed or spray tanned nor do I take melanin shots to be black!”' 



Amara La Negra is a Miami-born Dominican singer.


"Being an Afro-Latina in the Latin market is particularly difficult, because you essentially have to work twice as hard to prove yourself. As much as people want to say that racism is over and it doesn’t exist, it does, especially in the Latin market. When they talk about a Latina, they talk about Sofia Vergara or Jennifer Lopez, Shakira even. But not anyone who looks like me, and I’m 100 percent Latina.

I’ve been in novelas, but the roles that are carved out for us are more often than not stereotypical. You’re a slave, a drug addict, a gangster, or a murderer — those kind of roles. It’s tough to land a serious role. And anytime I say stuff like this, people are in shock. Like they can’t believe I just said racism is alive or something. Listen, I can only speak from my own personal experience.

One of the reasons I’m so rebellious and I wear my hair from my head attached to my body, is because for many years I was told this bullshit lie that in order to be beautiful, I had to have straight hair, because my hair was too “unmanageable.” Hello! I’m black. Yes, I’m going to have nappy and kinky hair. But that’s part of what makes me beautiful. And it took me years to know and realize that. I’m straightening and burning my hair for what? To please who? I was doing it to try and fit into society." ~ Amara La Negra 



No comments:

Post a Comment