Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Of Marilyn Monroe and other beautiful women...


artist rendition of Marilyn Monroe.


There is often a melancholy in women's countenance who are beautiful, as it has been explained to me by beautiful women. One said it was a burden the weight beauty places upon a woman. The attention beauty draws dismisses something essential in the interpretation of who she is on streets, or anywhere else in their lives. I didn't understand it when I was a young man, but it came home looking into my mother's eyes. She understood it, but was not one to elaborate.

Time passed and I was, on purpose, introduced to Black Native women from different tribes living in the Washington DC area by a profoundly beautiful woman from two Virginia tribes. She told me to keep my mouth shut as she asked these women questions. Those women's stories told why they'd become fat. It hid their beauty from men's attention!

That is probably too much for this forum, but I had to write this story to remember again what it meant, as I learned it, from a beautiful woman's perspective what deep compelling beauty felt like. - Gregory E. Woods, Keeper of Stories 3/13/18


No comments:

Post a Comment